Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Next 5,000 Days of the Web or The One

I happen to love the TED lectures as does my buddy kcdyer. This one dates from 2007 where Kevin Kelly explains the Web is only 5,000 days old, and wonders what the next 5,000 days will bring.

I think about my grandmother, who lived to be just shy of her 100th birthday. Born in 1889 in England, she traveled by ship to Canada and over her lifetime, she witnessed the birth of planes, cars, telephones, electricity in everyday life, indoor plumbing (she still kept a chamber pot under my bed when I visited,) computers, space travel...boggles the mind, no?

What are we going to see in our lifetime? I admit that although I love technology (I sound like Napoleon's brother, and if you get that reference, you get me) too much of it makes me long for a simple cabin in the woods. And when Kelly talks about The One, well, it's exciting, but part of me wants to run for the hills.

Believe in the impossible, he says. Hmm.

What do you think?

2 comments:

nightsmusic said...

Pam, did you change your template? It looks different :)

My dad was born in Ishpeming in the UP, in 1907. He, like your grandmother, saw technology advance at a breakneck pace. From no electricity and an outhouse to 'modern conveniences'. He often commented on how much simpler and quieter life was when he was a boy, and like you, thought technology was a great thing, but too much and he wanted to run 'home'. Back to that little house in the UP with the oil lamps and the coal fireplace (my grandfather worked in the mines, coal was cheap!) and the outhouse.

I don't know about the outhouse, but a cabin in the woods with no technology sometimes sounds like heaven to me!

Still pulling for Buddy! :)

A Novel Woman said...

Nope, same template. Must be those retro photos.

I have to admit, I had to look up UP. Michigan, eh? Sounds like a great place to grow up. And yes, I can escape to my cottage which is as close as I can get to that little cabin in the woods.

Keep those fingers crossed for the Budster!