Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How hot is it?

My car thermometer read 35C on the way into town today.

Yes. It's 35C in Montreal today. With the humidity factored in, that's around 41C.

In Fahrenheit, that's about a jillion. A bajillion maybe. It was hotter here than Khadahar. Which is situated in a desert. Also, hotter than New Delhi.

Seriously, walking outside it's like being smothered slowly by a really fat guy while standing in a vat of soup.

No, our house is not air-conditioned. Our bedroom is. However, my husband (who is bothered by nothing and no one) refuses to turn it on when he sleeps because "it will make my head cold."

I want a cold head. I can't sleep while I'm being smothered by a fat guy in a vat of soup.

Why am I not here, I hear you asking from your more moderate climes anywhere in the world, and that includes the Sahara, the Gobi and the Kalahari?

Because I'm off to Toronto. Where the heat is just as bad, just as unrelenting I'm told.

To quote the Wicked Witch of the West, "I'm melting, meeeeelting."

5 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

I think I could stand the desert better - cos it's dry, dry, dry. This sticky "fat guy" weather is simply awful. That being said, um, would you like to swotch husbands until this weekend and the end of the heat? I can't stand air conditioners either - they always make me cold - and I get blamed a lot around the house for causing undue suffering to its other inhabitants with my weird antiquated notion that it's ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on a noisy ugly box that's only going to be used five days out of the year anyway.
Three more days to go...

Anonymous said...

It's unbearably hot down here too. We went for a motorcycle ride the other day. It was uncomfortable riding, as the wind was even hot. We might possibly see a change in temperature come Friday and possibly a bit of rain, which we need.

A Novel Woman said...

Actually Deniz, they say your way is better. One can adapt to the heat much better without an air conditioner. However, these are probably the same people who say one should avoid bacon and coffee so...

Debby said...

Been there. Done that. Am a puddle.

Deniz Bevan said...

What do you mean no coffee? Bring on the air conditioning!