Tuesday, July 17, 2012

New Digs

Sorry I've been MIA but we moved from our suburban home of 24 years in the West Island into a rambling old flat in Montreal. I'm slowly adjusting to life in the city, as is Buddy who put up a fuss when we left him alone for a few hours so we could eat outdoors and people watch on Rue St. Catherine. We're still knee deep (well, chest deep) in boxes and it will take a while to figure out where everything goes but we'll get there. Doug is happy happy happy as he now has a five minute walk to his office instead of an early morning commute through construction zones and bumper to bumper traffic. Now he strolls along a tree lined street, past Dawson College, the former Mother House of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame.

I have no idea where I'm going to get groceries or where the post office is or even where to haul my garbage, but I'll go exploring when I get our new digs sorted out. This place is old, built in 1928.  It has a working fireplace (in theory only, since we're in the midst of a heatwave so I'm not testing it) and high ceilings and it overlooks a lovely garden belonging to the squash club next door. All the beauty of flowers with none of the work!

Just wanted to let you know where I was. A whole different set of photos will be happenin' from now on.

But first, another box to unload, another cupboard to fill.

6 comments:

nightsmusic said...

SO glad the move was a success and how exciting to go exploring! You'll work out the logistics, not to worry. In the meantime, happy unpacking and we're here when you get back.

A Novel Woman said...

Aw, so sweet. Thank you!

Rachel Chesnutt Blasdell said...

Sounds lovely. I've always wanted to someday live in a 'real' city setting where I could walk out and get where I need to go without a car. Got a tiny taste of it when I stayed at my sister's place in NYC this summer. Hope the unpacking goes well!

Debby said...

We really love being in town. I was not sure, but it is great being able to walk nearly everywhere. It will be a real savings in gas!

A Novel Woman said...

We used to live in the city, my whole adult life until I had my second child and then we moved to the burbs. It's fun being back.

Zoey said...

This was lovely thanks for sharing this